Saturday, December 1, 2007

Frozen Dinners Are Getting HOT


It was every man for himself when it was dinner time at my house. I lost my mom when I was 11 years old, so everything she did, I tried to do. Cooking and washing dishes was something I became very familar with. I remember frozen dinners being adequate to fill you up, but I don't every remember them to be a gourmet treat, until now...
Am I the only one that walks by the frozen food section like it doesn't exist? I have passed it by for 20 years, but something exciting has been gracing the freezers. Several companies are creating delicious gourmet foods in the frozen foods isle. I feel silly even writing about it, but it's true. Stouffer's makes a great lasagna. But the best thing I've eaten in the frozen food section are the entrees from Kashi. Yes, it's the cerial company that brings you healthy food. I think my favorite is Chicken Florentine. The herbs & spices are exotic and the basics like the bed of rice are right out of a health food book. I absolutely love them. Here's a list of the ingredients of their Black Bean Mango:

Black Bean Mango
Black beans with roasted red onions and green peppers, red peppers and carrots. Served over Kashi® 7 Whole Grains Pilaf and topped with fire-roasted mango sauce. A delicious dish that's Vegan too!
Ingredients: Cooked Kashi® Pilaf (water, whole: oats, long grain brown rice, rye, hard red winter wheat, triticale, buckwheat, barley, sesame seeds), black beans (prepared black beans, water, salt), water, carrots, red bell peppers, roasted red onions, roasted green bell peppers, mangos, canola oil, rice starch, evaporated cane juice, apple juice concentrate (concentrated apple juice, water, ascorbic acid [vitamin C]), jalapeƱo peppers, mango juice concentrate, mango puree, cilantro, ginger puree (ginger, water, salt, citric acid), garlic (garlic, water), salt, lime juice concentrate.
Allergen Statement: CONTAINS WHEAT INGREDIENTS.
Diabetic Exchange: 4 carbohydrates, 1 medium-fat meat
Kosher Certification: not Kosher
If you like bold flavorful exotic foods that will break the the same ol'-same-ol' department, then you might want to consider grabbing a few of these.
I wish I got a commission for bragging about them, but I don't.
One warning is that all the frozen foods are coming in a microwavable plastic dishes, but I wouldn't trust any of them for being good for you while being nuked in the microwave. My guess is that they might be creating toxins while in the micro. I put them in a ceramic dish or glass bowl while cooking. I even flip them down into the plate so that the presentation isn't quite as nice, but the food is incredibly good.
Every thing I've tried with Boston Market has been good with the exception of their lasagna. It was way too much beef with gristle. It's so bad it sticks in your teeth. Their other dinners have been wonderul.
So, don't you think it's about time you started warming up to frozen dinners?
I'm a part of an incredible discount coupon servie through MyWorldPlus.com that has made using coupons worth the trouble. They have tons of restaurant coupon deals that save you boatloads of money. They have 2 for 1 pizzas and the same for fast foods. I hate saving coupons; but, when it's buy one and get one free, I'm all over it! The program costs $19.05 a month to be a member, but I saved that and more and got a check from them for $105 for telling 4 people about it. Dinner time is heating up at my house.

No comments: